Friday, December 30, 2011

new year 2012 knit & crochet resolutions

Image copyright Jennifer Renson.

Is it really this time of year again?  Time for everyone to pretend we'll be better people and lose a couple pounds in the new year?

Well, I'm going to stop pretending.  Yes, I'd love to work out more and improve myself as a human being, but I'm tired of making that same resolution every year (I really should just do it). 

Instead, I've set some crafty goals for myself to accomplish in 2012 that will continue feeding my addiction(s), but in more productive ways:
  1. Continue shopping in my own stash: I've done so well with shopping in my own stash this year that I can sadly say it's dwindling.  My huge supply of pink yarn is slowly melting, which makes me a little teary-eyed.  But I'm also proud of myself for not going out into the world and just buying any yarn that I like.  I had a few buying jags this year, but overall controlled myself.  And when your hobby/business needs to happen on a budget, that's a good thing!


  2. Buy more "fancy" yarns: Now, this might sound as if it totally contradicts #1 above, and... it totally does in many ways.  But most of the yarns I buy are for custom orders.  To keep costs down, I opt for yarns like Vanna's Choice, Caron Simply Soft, Red Heart Soft, Bernat Satin, and I absolutely love buying Stitch Nation if the color(s) I need are in stock.  But I'm talking about yarns like Debbie Bliss, Noro Silk Garden, Rowan anything, etc.  I don't often get to buy many of these yarns for myself, and I want to indulge.

    Because the price for such yarns is kinda "up there", I don't think adding more will make my stash explode.  I want to get more experienced with yarns and textures, and limiting myself to whatever my local chain craft stores carry that week isn't going to help me.  So that said...


  3. Shop local:  There are at least two LYS that I want to visit, plus another near my parents' house.  I always harp on and on about supporting local businesses, and then I procrastinate and never get a chance to visit because I'm shopping at 9PM and the only thing open is Target.

    Well, procrastinate no more!  This year, I pledge to not only visit my LYS more, but visit it at least once.  I still haven't gone to Knitter's Edge, which is barely a couple miles from our house and opened more than two years ago.  I suck.


  4. Learn to sew:  Okay, not technically knit or crochet related, but I mostly want to learn how to sew because I need linings in the bags I make.  I don't make bags often because I don't see a use for them without a nice lining, and I don't even know where to begin.  I found a really great tutorial and have it bookmarked, but my sewing machine is still in a box and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it.  Plus, quilting looks like another hobby I need to eat up more time in my life.

    Oh, and did I mention how my super thoughtful and supportive Hubby bought me a basic sewing book for Christmas?  When do I tell him he can't get mad at scraps I leave behind if he continued to indulge my craft obsessions? :P


  5. Learn tatting: This one is a relatively new goal of mine because I got an awesome tatting tutorial book and supplies from my oma for Christmas.  I've wanted to learn tatting for awhile, but didn't really have the chance.  I also thought a lot of the tutorials I found were limited.  Luckily, I now have a great book with companion DVD, all the needles and shuttles I'll ever need (until the couch eats them), and a great pattern book for making snowflakes.  I think I know what everyone's getting for presents next Christmas :)
I could come up with even more crafty resolutions, but I'm trying to be realistic.  If everything works out, the next year of my MBA program will be my last... only five classes left until I'm overqualified for almost every job in America!  Basically, I need to work Craft Time around Homework.  Not fun, I know, but it'll be almost worth it in the end.

What are your Crafty New Year 2012 Resolutions?  I challenge you to come up with some and let me know :D  Have a safe and fantabulous New Year's weekend!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...