Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My First Doily - And It's Purple!

My First Doily - And It's Purple!

Any normal person would decide to make a doily, pick up some white thread, and get to work. Me? I chose purple.

Which means my first doily doesn't match anything in our house, so I'll probably have to sell it or give it away or something, haha. In any event, I'm really pleased with the result.

So yes, this is my first attempt at a doily. I'd stayed away from them in the past because hey, doilies are for old people to make, right? Plus, I really, really used to hate working with thread. I'm used to it now, but in the past, I couldn't stand how it would saw through my fingers.

But I was inspired after my bridal shower last summer when a family friend crocheted a doily for me. I hadn't had much chance to sit down and actually make one, though. But there's been a two-week break in my traveling scarves group, and I had a week off from classes recently, so I decided to pick up some thread and go to town.

I worked this up over a couple nights. I probably could have done it faster, but I lacked ambition and I've been exhausted from working, classes, and having somewhere to go pretty much every weekend since the end of May. Not to mention, I had to rip back a couple rows at least twice because I added an extra stitch here and there. Then toward the end, I thought I was going to run out of thread, so I just wanted to stop, and the picot edging was becoming tedious.

But I made it through (with the help of several True Blood marathons)! And I'm so happy I did.

The photos were taken with my new iPhone :D Not too shabby! As you can see, I have yet to block the doily, but I'm usually too lazy to do the blocking I should. Maybe someday :)

If you'd like to make your own pineapple doily, visit this Ravelry link to access the pattern, or visit my doily on the Project page!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...