Wednesday, July 28, 2010

So, what is this OpenSky business I keep seeing?

You may have noticed that as of this week, there has been a pretty blue countdown clock on my blog.  If you haven't noticed, then you should drop by more and make yourself at home :)  I won't have tea, but there will be plenty of coffee, yarn, and unnecessary sass.

In any event, that countdown clock is doing just what it's supposed to do: count down to something exciting.  "But Jenn," you say, "Your blog is about yarn and cats.  And sometimes you throw in random wedding pictures of people we've never met, too.  Can it get even more exciting?!"  Oh, it can!

I am more than jumping-out-of-my-skin excited to announce that I will soon be opening my very own OpenSky shop!

For those of you who haven't heard about OpenSky, then you absolutely have to check it out.  Especially for beginning crafters, it can be hard to know where to begin.  You walk into a chain store like ACMoore or Michael's, stand in the yarn aisle, and become overwhelmed at all the different-sized hooks and needles that hang before you.  Some are tiny and come in groups of five; others are ginormous and are attached in the center by a cord.  And let's not even talk about those ones with hooks on both ends.  What do they do?!

If only you could buy something based on a recommendation...

That's where OpenSky comes in.  If you read my last entry about Independent Crafters vs. The Super Store, then you know how I feel about places like Wal-Mart and other overly-popular chain stores that kill local economies (okay, it's gonna take awhile to ween me off Target, but you know...).

I think it's time we all get back to our roots, support the people behind the products, and make buying a personal experience again.  I'm not talking about direct-selling, either.  I'm talking about being able to go to an online shop maintained by someone you trust and knowing that what you're buying is the right product for your needs.  It's being able to speak with people who have used the products before and can give you their honest opinion about the best ways to use them.

OpenSky is about connecting people, making buying something less of a chore and more of an experience (or maybe I'm the only person who looks at driving to our local densely-populated park-five-miles-away-just-to-buy-a-book mall as a chore).  That's why I love it, and that's why I'm opening my own shop.

So, I know what my goal here is: to bring the best-of-the-best kniting and crochet supplies to you.  My favorite yarns, gadgets, etc, are all items I hope to feature.  But forget all that - what would you like to see in my shop that you're just not getting anywhere else?  Or what's a fun feature of your local yarn shop that I could incorporate?  Because even though this shop will be under my name, its purpose is to make sure you guys have everything you need to make your hobby even more enjoyable.  So let me know :D

Okay, enough of that, and back to teh kittehs:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...