Friday, September 2, 2011

knitted baby sweater progress

I'm making this post mainly to torture my friend who's having the baby that will eventually wear this cuteness :)

So far, I've finished the back panel, the left panel, and I'm almost done with the right panel.  I'm really happy with how it's coming out, even though I'll have to block the crap out of it.  And then sew it all together.  But it's going to be soooo worth it because it's just that adorable.

P8140140

P8140141

P8140142
I'm only one step away from becoming the grandmother (was it the grandmother?) from "A Christmas Story" who makes people wear bunny pajamas I've sewn together.

At first, I was worried that I'd run out of yarn, but I think I'm going to be okay.  The back panel of course ate through a big chunk, but I feel like baby sleeves and a sailor panel around the collar won't take too much.

Notice how part of the border gets sewn on later.  This is a new technique for me (how could it not be? - I rarely make sweaters).  You basically cast on a ton of stitches, knit in garter stitch for six rows while knitting three together halfway down (for the corner), then cast off half those stitches.  It's a lot easier than trying to pick up the stitches and create the border later on.

I've had to put it down in the past two weeks to work on some other projects and get back in the swing of school (I need to read six books this session and have papers coming out my butt) - kill me now.  Something tells me that knitting and crocheting are going to be my only forms of sanity.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...