Friday, September 23, 2011

the "scarves for the special olympics" project begins

With everything going on these past two weeks, I've wanted to work on something a bit more relaxing (ie: without a due date).  Having finished some baby sweaters that only need the ends woven in and starting another baby blanket plus some commissions, I thought I could work on my scarf for The Special Olympics.

I wanted to choose a pattern that was easy enough to be relaxing, but challenging enough that I didn't get bored with it.  I ended up choosing the Reversible Stripes Scarf by Marji LaFreniere (ravelry link). 

The pattern is super cute.  On one side, you have a regular striping pattern in alternating colors.  On the other side, you have columns of each color that contain "dots" of the other.  I know, this sounds strange in writing, so I'll just show you some photos:

P1010163

P1010165

P1010164

As you can see, the scarf is knit on circular needles.  Every other row (when you switch colors), you slide the scarf to the other side of the needles and continue in pattern.  This is what causes the fun design.  It was awkward at first, but now that I've gotten into a rhythm, it's pretty easy!

Have you guys started your scarves yet?  Do you know which pattern you'll be using?

Hope you all have a good weekend!  Despite all the homework I have to do (I have another presentation next week and tons of reading), I'm really looking forward to a couple days of peace and quiet.  It looks like any plans we had are about the get rained out, anyway.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...