Monday, December 13, 2010

A Disheartening Tale of Homemade Christmas Cards

To my fellow crafters and me, Christmas is our favorite time of year for crafting.  With it being the season for sharing time with family and showing appreciation for everything we have (as opposed to what we don't), we spend a lot of time pouring love and time into our gifts and greetings.

If someone doesn't like what we've gifted them, we therefore can take the reaction more personally than if we were to give a purchased gift; however, we're all big kids and can handle some rejection because most people have the maturity to at least humor us.  We're the whacky crafters, after all.

Today, I read this Dear Abby article that made my heart ache for crafters around the world.  If you don't craft, please read this and understand that this  is probably the most cruel thing you could do to us other than burn one of our finished objects in front of us.

DEAR ABBY: Five years ago, when my niece was 9, we came up with the idea of making Christmas cards and sending them out to special friends and family members. We both work hard to make sure each is attractive and in good taste, and we handwrite a personal note inside. We also print on the back that the card was "handmade with love." This has become a tradition for the two of us, and the cards are quite beautiful.


Last year, after we sent them out, I received a card from a friend with a small check inside. The card read, "I'm sending you this check so you can afford to buy 'real cards' next year." I was, to say the least, hurt and offended. I wondered if others felt similarly, so I asked around and was shocked to learn they, too, thought I was "cheap." Although it cost more money and time to create each card, no one appreciated them.


We won't be making the cards this year, but how do I tell my niece why? I don't want her feelings hurt, too. -- BLUE AT CHRISTMAS


DEAR BLUE: Tell your niece what you were told -- and by whom -- so she won't waste any more effort on these rude and unappreciative individuals. Better she hear it from you than one of the recipients.


As to the "friend" who sent the check, I hope you returned it and deleted her from your Christmas card list. What she did was uncalled for.
What a group of winners!  Seriously!  I wish I or my friends would find the time to hand-craft our holiday cards, and when it does happen, I treasure each one.  Whatever happened to "it's the thought that matters"?  I'm not sure what circle these ladies travel in, but it doesn't sound like a good one.

Chin-up, girls!  Handmade items are anything but cheap.  Not only are supplies usually more expensive than if you purchase the item at Target, but it's made with love - something you can't put a price on.  So keep crafting and sending cards to those who appreciate your talents.

And now, to get back on topic... here are some items I've completed in the past week :)  I've also finished my Santa and Poinsettia magnets, so look for a separate post about them in the coming days!

100_2152

100_2158

100_2156
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...