Monday, August 23, 2010

Sockhead Hat - A Two-Week Time Sucker

Sock yarn hat I made for a swap package

Sock yarn hat I made for a swap package

There it is: the project that consumed two weeks of my life.

At first glance, you wouldn't think it would take so long.  After all, it's only 4" of ribbing followed by approximately 9" of stockinette.  I looked forward to this project because it was mindless and great for catching up on the season premieres of our favorite shows ("Mad Men" is back, everyone!).

What I failed to remember is that anything worked with sock yarn is going to be painful if you're under a time constraint, even if the pattern is easy.  Hence why I have a huge pile of sock yarn building up in my craft room, but have yet to finish a sock.  I just lose interest after that 30,000th stitch, when I realize I haven't even reached the heel.

It was made for a Favorite Hat swap over at Ravelry.  It's the second one of its kind, and after much success with the first swap, I knew I had to join the second.  For this swap, we had to comb through our partner's Ravelry favorites and make one of the hats on the list.  Simple enough, and lots of fun to finally have the hats you've wanted to make for two years and haven't gotten around to.

My partner's favorite colors were jewel tones, so I immediately knew which of my yarns I was going to use.  This particular yarn was purchased on an outing shortly before our wedding when I was looking for a fun honeymoon project.  I decided to attempt socks and bought these skeins at A Garden of Yarn in Chadds Ford, PA.  The place lives up to its name, by the way, so it's worth a stop if you're in the area!

Well, as mentioned above, socks get really boring (I give major credit to people who like making them) and the pair never got finished.  So it was nice to be able to recycle the yarn and make something useful, even if I had to give it away when all was said and done.

The great news is that my swap partner loved it, as well as the other goodies I included in my package.  I was sad to see it go, but I look forward to the day my patience rebuilds so I can make another one out of my stash.

Here is a link to my project page over on Ravelry, and here is a link to the pattern (it's free!).

I have so many blog posts to make this week, so prepare for some flooding :)  I took a bunch of pictures over the weekend, and there are more I need to take for the JennyHats Fall Collection, so I'm in dire need to catching up.

Tomorrow: the swap package I received with my favorite hat.  Or should I say hats?  I was really spoiled!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...