Friday, September 26, 2008

Crochet for the Special Olympics

Okay, let us pause for a somewhat serious note here. Don't worry, it'll be back to fun time soon :)

If you know me, then you'll know I'm big into charities. There are certain charities I really enjoy because I get to give directly to the charity, while there are others I avoid because I'm not so sure I trust other people with my money. I'm a little cynical. HOWEVER, it brings me joy to create something for people who need it, whether it be kids, homeless shelters, just something where I can contribute what little I have right now to anyone who can appreciate it and maybe feel good wearing something I've made.

I recently came across this idea in Crochet Today. I have a craft show coming up that is taking all my time and energy, but I'd really like to participate in this over the holidays. I'm really excited to work with these new colors and even play around with some new stitches (in either knit or crochet, whatever's blowing my skirt up that day). But I also know that there are a few people who'd like to participate and don't know how to crochet or knit, or maybe they don't have time to dedicate to the project over the extremely busy holiday season. Because of that, I'm collecting donations to purchase yarn for the project.

Now, it's not insanely expensive, believe me. You can view what is needed here. I just thought I have the time to dedicate, the access to the yarn, the support of my friends and family, and the ultimate goal of making someone very happy with my favorite hobby. If you donate, rest assured that all your money will go toward the yarn. I already have the crochet and knitting supplies, so it won't be spent on that. And hey, it's only like $3 minimum. So if you're interested, click on the happy little PayPal button below. I'll post picture of the scarves as I finish them, and maybe I'll have a little scarf party in my craft room before the year is out.



The deadline for the scarves is mid-January, so I'd need to ship them out crazy in advance because of the holidays. Just FYI :D

PS: If you'd like to include a fun little message to send to the scarf recipient, please do so on the donation form or shoot me an email. The article says we can include personal messages, so anyone who donates money for the yarn should obviously be able to send a greeting :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...