Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Weekend Project - Making Paper Beads

For those of you who aren't aware, March is National Craft Month!  Now that the month is almost over, I figured it was high time I got to celebrating :)  I honestly have not had much time since February to craft much, and I've lost a lot of inspiration.

In my crafty YouTube watching, though, I came across a couple videos that got me interested in some new crafts!  One of my goals for National Craft Month was to try something "new" that wasn't knitting or crocheting.  I've done a lot of crafts in my life and enjoyed most of them - cross-stitching, latch hook rug making, etc.  But these videos I watched brought back some crafty times of my youth that I'm more than happy to revisit.

One channel I started watching consisted of friendship bracelet tutorials.  I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with them, but I had a 50% Off coupon to ACMoore and decided to buy a huge pack of friendship bracelet thread and a cardboard loom.  Considering I wound up only paying $6.50, I think I win.  Now if only I can remember where to start...

I also started to get back into paper bead making.  I used to love making paper beads when I was younger, and I even had a little wheel that helped me make them (and it made things so much easier).  Unfortunately, even if I did ever find that wheel, it was made for kids so the bead's hole was way too big.

So instead I bought some picks from ACMoore's garden section, came home, and used some old 8.5x11" scrapbook paper to make my first paper beads in years!  Here's a picture of some purple ones:

Paper Beads

After gluing the last flap down, I used clear $1 nail polish I had sitting around.  I just started investing in real nail polish, so I didn't feel bad scarificing some of my $1 variety :P

I've also started making some beads from striped paper, and the way the colors are coming out when I wrap them looks like Easter eggs - 'tis the season!  I'm interested in seeing what some of these beads will look like on my crochet necklaces.  Once I'm better at making them, of course.

And don't forget what else is great about March - the Morning Call's Best of Blogs contest!  Head on over to the site to vote for my blog if you enjoy reading.  I'll be forever grateful.  I hope your week is off to a good start!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...