Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Crochet Wire Necklace with Purple Beading

So after the overload of posts a couple weeks back, I apparently decided I needed a break :)  I haven't stopped crafting, but life has gotten crazy again with the start of my Fall classes and trying to wrap my brain around managerial finance and advanced accounting.  I won't bore you with those details!

Two weekends ago, I visited ACMoore's jewelry section for the first time.  I have never been to a craft store and gotten so confused; I was beyond out of my element.  I've never made jewelry, nor have I ever cared to.  But after finding this tutorial on Ravelry, I knew I had to try!

I wound up leaving with a bunch of wire I wasn't sure was right and some findings that I didn't think would work.  I made the mistake of thinking my tacky glue would work just as well as jewelry glue, and I had no idea if the beeds I'd spent 30 minutes looking at would work well together.  On top of that, there will people milling all around me the entire time who knew what they were doing, so I felt like such a craft dunce.

When all was said and done, however, the results were great:

Crochet wire necklace with beading

I really couldn't be happier with it.  Well, okay, I could.  For one thing, crocheting with wire is probably the most horrible thing I've ever done.  I tried to buy the highest gauge possible, but it still wouldn't cooperate, and I think I have a permanent dent in my finger from pressing so hard.  The clam shell doohickerys aren't attached the best way, but I think I'll do better in future necklaces now that I have experience.  Also, the spring in my cheap wire cutters keeps falling out, which posed a whole bunch of problems.

That's not going to stop me, though.  I bought more beads this weekend and plan to make a few more necklaces.  I think they look so chic and unique!  I made one for my mom, plus I wear mine all the time, and we've both received compliments on them.  Hopefully I can perfect them enough to start selling them soon.

Crochet wire necklace with beading (detail)

Next on my list - finishing up four baby hat commissions for a wee one due in October.  These hats are super cute, and I'm almost done with the first one.  I can't wait to see what they look like :D
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...